Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Engagment Session



















Today's post is an excerpt from the book 50 Lighting Setups for Portrait Photographers, Volume 2: Easy-to-Follow Lighting Designs and Diagrams, by Steven H. Begleiter. It is available from Amazon.com and other fine retailers.

CAMERA DATA
Camera: Canon 40D
Aperture: f/4
Lens: EF 24–105mm at 47mm
Shutter speed: 1/30 second
ISO: 200

ASSIGNMENT
My nephew was getting married and was meeting us for a brief visit with his fianceé. I hadn’t planned to take a portrait of them but thought it would be a nice change to create an engagement photo. They were leaving early in the morning to head back to Los Angeles, so I didn’t have much time to plan the shot—nor did they have time to dress for the session.




















LIGHTING AND POSING
I picked an open shade area to avoid any high co
ntrast. There wasn’t much light (f/4 at 1/15 second), so I increased my ISO to 200 to bring it up to 1/30 second at f/4, helping me to avoid motion blur. I set my Canon 530EX flash on the hot shoe, with a Gary Fong diffuser. I then switched my camera to shutter priority (Tv) mode with the camera at 1/30 second.

I had Trevor and Mari turn to each other and asked Trevor to wrap his arms around Mari. I took about three pictures before they had to leave. The rest was a transformation in Photoshop.

POSTPRODUCTION
When I imported the images into Lightroom, thi
s one stood out. I decided to play with it in Photoshop and see if I could dress it up and present it to them as a canvas print.

I exported it to Photoshop and duplicated the background layer. My first step was to crop the image to a square (like the old Hasselblad format), getting rid of the excess background to keep the attention on the couple. Once that was done, I checked the levels and constricted the histogram slightly by sliding the arrows toward the middle.

At this point, I converted the image to black & white using a black & white adjustment layer. Creating this layer brings up a dialog box with color sliders. If you recall the old days of using color filters to alter the black & white tones in your film images, this will look familiar. By sliding the yellows and greens to the left I was able to evenly darken the background to bring out the subjects. Sliding the reds, blues, and magentas to the right lightened their skin tones.

My next task was to lighten their eyes (it was an early-morning shoot, after all!) and brighten their teeth. I used the quick selection tool to select the teeth and eyes on both subjects. I used the refine edges command (Select>Refine Edges) to tweak the selection. Once I was satisfied with it, I used the hue/saturation dialog box to desaturate the tones in their eyes and teeth (–43) and increase the lightness of these areas (+32). You can’t go too far without the change looking artificial.

I then selected the spot healing brush to get rid of a few stray hairs. To remove the dark circles under their eyes, I selected the dodge tool and set it to shadows at 50 percent. I also wanted to soften their faces slightly, which I did using the surface blur filter (radius: 12; threshold: 7).

The last item on my list was removing the Pepsi logo from the t-shirt. I used the polygonal lasso tool to select the Pepsi logo, then eliminated it using the clone stamp tool. It looked good to me, so I flattened the image and sent the file to Canvas on Demand, who shipped the final artwork directly to Trevor and Mari in Los Angeles. (When I visited them, I saw that they did a beautiful job framing the canvas print and hung it in their guest room—a high compliment!)

Editorial note: Please purchase the book to see the full sequence of images and screen shots from this session and postproduction process.




46 comments:

  1. Such a great post about
    corporate photographer Houston, so it could be better to keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, The topic that you have discussed in the post is really amazing, I think now I have a strong hold over the topic after going through the post. I will surely come back for more information.
    nigerian wedding in london

    ReplyDelete
  3. The topic that you have discussed in the post is really good, I think now I have a strong
    hold over the topic after going through the post. I will surely come back for more information.Thanks a lot .
    Asian Wedding photographers

    ReplyDelete
  4. The topic that you have discussed in the post is really good, I think now I have a strong hold over the topic after going through the post. I will surely come back for more information.Thanks a lot .
    Asian Wedding photographers

    ReplyDelete
  5. The topic that you have discussed in the post is really good, I think now I have a strong hold over the topic after going through the post. I will surely come back for more information.Thanks a lot .
    Affordable Wedding Makeup Artist

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! You have done such a great job with your pictures. I like how you and the Cincinnati wedding photographer have done such a great job and what you do. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, The post that you have discussed in the post is really amazing, I think now I have a strong hold over the topic after going through the post. I will surely come back for more information. nigerian wedding in london

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you have some great photos. I really enjoy your work. You have a great future ahead of you for your company.

    Jim | Award Winning Wedding Photographer Napa, Ca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures!! I have been looking for a wedding photographer in Cincinnati. I want one that obviously takes good pictures but that doesn't overcharge. Does anyone know of a good photographer?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just checked your post............its really awesome and fabulous. Images are too nice. You have done a perfect job.

    Wedding Photographer San Diego

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty blog with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great blog. Good luck to the author! all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes your post is really awesome and you have worked very hard. You had clicked very good pictures.

    Photographers Houston

    ReplyDelete
  13. very nice photography, beach side photographs are sweet looking wonderful.......

    Wedding photographers - Discover the best in wedding photography. Search reviews to obtain The best wedding shooter wedding photographs in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi!! Bernard Lim, You are right, it is photographer for beach side. Boston Wedding Photographer

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice Post, Really Interested & you gave me Good info about oakville family photographers

    ReplyDelete
  16. art with smart photography :-There digital photography school are so many new things each as well as everyone coming in the part ways which will help in developing the period of work as landscape photography the innovative new functions are considering what is so necessary and important to have for photography sessions to portrait photography run effectively. The real and correct order always was the truth which may lead such high camera reviews inclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Impressive blog! Nice photography and the article you share in your blog it’s really nice. Great job.

    wedding photo and video

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for all the hard work. Appreciate the brushes, which are very well done. Keep up the good work.

    Candid Wedding Photographers In Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great blog about photography. If you want to hire photographers and photo booth rentals in New Orleans, please contact us from the links below

    With time there is some unique and new range of services coming up in the market, baton rouge photography is one amongst all such. The best thing about the service provider is that they are offering wide range of solutions at an unbelievable price. With time they are also bringing new and unique works that are all worth enough for users.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Valuable information ..I am delighted to read this article..thank you for giving us this useful information.
    jakob rex

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have enjoyed it from your blog and looking forward to see more from you.
    Thanks....!
    Bridal

    ReplyDelete
  22. What is layer mask in Photoshop? When it is used?
    background removal

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good blog along with the excellent quality stuff and I’m sure this will be greatly helpful. proposal photographer nyc

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dulari Digital Best Professional Photographers in Ludhiana. Hire Budget Photographers for services in Wedding photography, best Wedding Photographers in Ludhiana, Pre-Wedding shoot.
    Dulari Digital Photo Services Pvt. Ltd.
    678/1133, Street No.2, Vishkarma Puri, Gill Road,
    Miller Ganj, Ludhiana-141003(Pb.) INDIA.
    PHONE : +91 92167-73004,
    +91 92167-73007
    +91 161 4612670, 4613670
    +8288067359
    EMAIL: mail@dularidigital.in


    Dulari Ludhiana

    ReplyDelete
  25. John David is one of Austin best wedding photographers. With experience of so many years & john relaxed style of photography will leave you completely at ease to enjoy your wedding day. Available for destination wedding photography worldwide.

    Wedding Photographer Austin TX

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice photography. Another good wedding photographer website that I found is http://www.weddingphotographersdelhi.in/ they provide pre wedding and candid photography in Delhi, India.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very informative site, i must bookmark it, keep posting interesting articles...
    super 8 transfer

    ReplyDelete
  28. Davisonphoto provide Cheap wedding photographer in yorkshire and Photographer in yorkshire. Best wedding photographer with lowest price and quality work.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You have a very good site, well constructed and very interesting i have bookmarked you, hopefully you keep posting new stuff, many thanks
    salt lake city photographer

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have been reading your posts regularly which is specially for wedding flowers.I need to say that you are doing a fantastic work. Please keep it up the great work.
    Difficult-to-Find electronic parts

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wedding Video & Photography is all about the beauty of a moment. The most beautiful moment could be at a flicker of a second, and a good Video & Photograph is always about keeping the moment from running away.
    professional wedding photographer

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for the post. Im a big fan of the blog, i've even put a little bookmark right on the tool bar of my Firefox you'll be happy to find out!
    Fatherhood

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi,

    If you are Looking
    Hochzeitsvideo :- 2902 ist ein führender Anbieter von professionellen hochzeitsvideo, hochzeitsfilm, wedding film, wedding video und image video in Zürich, Winterthur.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Amazing and wonderful post about wedding photographer and you are providing best photographer for dramatic or hollywood look photography. Very informative site, thanks for sharing it.

    wedding photographer Newport Beach

    ReplyDelete
  35. Trinidad Photographer of Amour Studios is some of the most talented Trinidad Wedding Photographers in Trinidad and Tobago and the CaribbeanWedding Photographers in Trinidad

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further write ups thanks once again.

    photographers in san diego

    ReplyDelete